If you have a new address, or a new credit card, you can update it inside your FreshBooks account. This ensures there's no disruption to your account when your next payment is due (or renewed) so you always have access.
You can update your credit card or your address with this link, or with the below steps:
- On a web browser in your account, click on the gear icon in the top left corner
- Click on Billing and Upgrade
- Under the Payment Details section, click on Update Payment Method, or click directly here
- For users on the Select plan, click on update your payment details at the bottom of the pop up instead
- Enter your new credit card if needed (note that it can either be MM/YY or MM/YYYY depending on your card, so try both)
- Click Change next to Billing Address to update if needed
- Click Save to finish.
Why are my updated credit card details not saving?
Below are some common issues with new credit card details not saving:
- The expiration date may be MM/YY or MM/YYYY depending on your card - try both options
- The credit card must be one of the accepted types (Amex, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa) and is not a prepaid or debit credit card
- Ensure all the details have been filled out manually (not auto-filled by your browser)
- Make sure the address matches your credit card's billing address (no spelling errors)
- Ensure there are no unsupported characters in your address (like / and - )
- Your browser may not be supported - for best results use Chrome or update your browser to the latest versions here
If all the above isn't working, check with your bank, particularly if you are located outside of Canada. Some banks may require you to authorize FreshBooks to charge your credit card on a recurring basis since FreshBooks is located in Canada.
Why did my payment decline?
Payments can decline due to various reasons, including these common ones:
- Insufficient Funds - If you are being billed in a different currency, the total can be higher after exchange rates and bank fees
- Incorrect Information - Update your credit card to ensure your account has the latest information, especially if your card expired
- Authorization Required / Bank Blocking - Check with your bank to ensure recurring charges from FreshBooks (in Canada) are not blocked, and that no additional verification is required to complete the transaction
How do I reactivate my account with my updated credit card?
Whether you've cancelled your account or you're looking to get back up and running, you can reactivate your account with these steps below. This will reopen your account with all of your intact data so you can pick up right where you left off.
- Log in at my.freshbooks.com
- Enter in your credit card details
- Click Save. Your account will be reactivated and all outstanding payments (if there are any) will be retried as well.
Once reactivated, any Recurring Templates and Retainers that were active prior to your account's suspension or cancellation will need to be restarted again.