As a business, you may or may not need to charge taxes (like HST, GST, VAT or more) on your products and services to report back to the government.
If you need to charge taxes, they are added on a line-by-line basis in FreshBooks. This means they need to be applied to each line item when you're creating the Invoice. Follow these steps to add a Tax to your Invoices:
- Head to the Invoices section
- Click on New Invoice in the top right
- Create your Invoice as normal - adding a Client, Terms, a Due Date and any additional Notes you or your Client may need
- Add an item to your Invoice. You can do this by clicking the + Add a Line which will appear when you hover over the Invoice
- Once a line has been added to the Invoice, you'll see an Add Taxes option under the Rate column:
- Clicking on this Add Taxes link will give you the option to add a Tax to your item
- Enter in the Rate and the Tax Name. The Tax Number/ID is optional:
- Once you've entered your Tax details, click anywhere on the Invoice and the Tax will be applied:
Note: You're able to add up to two Taxes to each line item within FreshBooks.
If you ever need to remove taxes, you can just use the steps above but uncheck the box next to the Tax you want to remove from the Invoice and click Apply Taxes. The Tax will no longer be applied to the Invoice.