What is a Sales Tax Summary Report?
The Tax Summary Report gives you a breakdown of the value of the sales tax you have collected, along with how much you have paid taxes on Expenses.
You can run a Sales Tax Summary Report by doing the following:
- Go to the Reports section
- Select Sales Tax Summary under Accounting Reports.
To adjust your view of the Sales Tax Summary Report, click on Filters under Settings. From there, you can change:
- Reset all - Click on this link to restore the filters back to the default settings
- Date Range - Choose from This Month, This Year, Last Year, This Quarter, Last Quarter, or Custom to enter a specific date range
- Sales - Run this by either Billed (Accrual) or Collected (Cash-Based) income:
- Billed - This will pull from any non-draft Invoices and are dated within your date range (both paid and unpaid)
- Collected - This will pull from Payments you’ve received in the selected date range
- Currency - Toggle between multiple currencies
In the top left you will have either Total Billed or Total Collected (depending on if you ran the Report as Billed or Collected). This is the total invoiced or collected, along with any Other Income logged, with Sales Taxes included.
- Taxable Amount - The amount on which tax was applied to
- Taxes - The amount of Tax that was applied
For Less Expenses, which includes both Expenses and Bills:
- Taxable Amount - The total expenses, before tax, that tax was applied to
- The Taxes - The amount of tax you paid on your expenses
Clicking More Actions in the top right will give you the option to Export for Excel, or Print your Report.
Shouldn’t my Total Billed be the same as my Taxable Amount plus my Taxes?
If you have applied tax to every single line of every single Invoice, then yes. The total amount Billed/Collected, plus the amount of tax applied, should equal the gross amount Billed/Collected. If they don’t add up, it usually means that there is at least one line on one of the Invoices from this date range that does not have tax applied to it.
The Net line is the Billed/Collected value with the Expenses value subtracted from it.