Ensuring payment for work is one of the biggest challenges many small business owners face. Waiting for your clients to pay you can be a stressful exercise in patience – you think they’ll be good for the money – but if they aren’t, it can be exhausting chasing them to finally pay up.
That’s why people ask for a portion of their invoice to be paid upfront as a deposit (or as a prepayment). Once the Deposit is paid first, the Client can pay the remaining balance after.
You can read more about the benefits of Deposits along with other ways to get paid faster here, or read below for steps to enable this on an Invoice:
Requesting a Deposit
- Head to the Invoices section and create a New Invoice
- You'll now see the Invoice creation screen. When you hover your mouse over the Invoice, a number of options will appear. Towards the bottom of the Invoice, under Amount Due, you'll see Request a Deposit:
- Once clicked, you'll have the option to request a Percentage of the Invoice of value, or a Flat Amount depending on your preference. Click on Add Deposit to confirm
- Once added, your Invoice will reflect the Deposit Due:
- Save or Send the Invoice to finish.
Note: Once the Deposit is paid, no new line items can be added. If you need to make further changes, you can either update the Deposit Requested amount, or delete it (any payment made will remain).
Deposits can be deleted by hovering over the right side of the Deposit amount and clicking on the trash can icon.
How does the Deposit appear to my Clients?
When you look at the Invoice, you'll see the status is Sent, but you can also clearly see that a deposit has been requested:
When your Client looks at the Invoice, they'll also see a banner at the top of their Invoice clearly showing that there is a Deposit Due:
If a Client is paying their Invoice online, they'll be required to pay the full deposit amount. As the Owner, you are able to manually add partial payments if necessary. Check out our article on manually adding Payments if you need a hand with this.
When the deposit has been paid, you'll now see the Invoice status change from Sent to Deposit Paid: