If you’re not a fan of manual entry, or you’d like to bring in older Expenses than the ones brought in by your bank account, you can upload Expenses in bulk with a CSV file.
With the CSV import, you can specify the amount, category, date, description and vendor you would like each Expense to be created under. Import your file with the steps below:
- Go to the Expenses section
- Click on the More Actions button
- Select Import Expenses from a File
- Click on Choose File…
- Select your CSV
- Match the fields to the columns from your file using the dropdown (e.g., Date should match to the column in your file that is also labelled as Date)
- Once you’re done matching and specifying your Currency, click on Import Expenses
- New Expenses will be added and you can start reviewing them in your list of Expenses.
How are duplicate Expenses handled?
All Expenses will be imported in, regardless if they are duplicates or transfers to pay off a balance. We recommend checking the CSV before import to ensure only unique transactions are brought in.
Which types of transactions can be imported in?
Currently, only negative amounts as -x.xx (withdrawals, payments, or debits) can be imported in. If your file has both positive and negative amounts, the negative amounts will only come in.
If your file only has all positives or all negatives, they will still be imported in. Currently, only payments and debits can be tracked. If you've accidentally imported in credits or reimbursements, you can delete the expenses afterwards to keep your reporting accurate.
Why did I get an error uploading my file?
The CSV file may be invalid depending on the error:
- The CSV file itself is corrupt - copy the information to a new workbook and re-save as a .csv format
- There are no header columns in the file - at the top of each column should be a header (e.g., Date)
- There are missing columns - Date, Description and Amount are the only columns that should be in the file
- There are unsupported characters like commas and other UTF-8 characters in the file
- There are empty cells in the file (right click and select Delete to clear out empty cells)
- The specified date format does not match the format in the file
- The file is larger than 2MB - try splitting it into two or more CSVs instead