What is the UK VAT Return Report?
The UK VAT Return Report is a report that allows you to export CSV files in order for you to submit your VAT returns to the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) as part of Making Tax Digital (MTD). MTD is an initiative designed to make sure the UK tax system is effective, efficient and simpler for taxpayers. All VAT-registered businesses with a taxable turnover above £85,000 are required to keep digital financial records and send returns using MTD-compatible software as of April 1, 2019.
Once enabled in your account, you can run the UK VAT Return Report by doing the following:
- Go to the Reports section
- Under Accounting Reports, click on UK VAT Return
- Using the filters at the top next to the report title, adjust the Date Range and choose between Issue Date or Payment Date
- Click Apply to save the filter settings
- From here, you can either:
- Click on the blue Download VAT Report for (Date) and a CSV file will download
- Click on the More Actions button, then select Export for Excel to download the CSV file
- Or click on Continue to MTD Portal button to submit your return to the HMRC (you'll need to have your UK VAT Return report ready to submit to the HMRC as well).
For more information on how to access your MTD Account to submit your returns and more, click here.