How do I set up a Bank Connection with Salt Edge?
Salt Edge, one of our third party connectors, can help you get your expenses automatically imported from your bank and credit card accounts (Crypto, Investment, Loan and Line of Credit accounts will not be imported). All accounts you set up will appear in the Bank Connections section, and any newly imported expenses (up to 90 days of activity) will appear in the Expenses section for you.
Add a Bank
- Before beginning, ensure you’re using the correct steps by confirming which partner supports connections for your country here
- Using a web browser, click on the gear icon in the top left corner
- Click on Bank Connections
- Then click on the Connect My Bank button
- Read the Before You Connect pop-up about turning on each account to start importing transactions, then click Let’s Go to continue
- A pop-up will ask you to how far back to import Expenses from - choose between Today, 7 Days ago, 30 Days ago, 90 Days ago, or Custom
- Then click on Done
- Next, type the name of your bank, or the country your bank is based in, into the search bar
- Click on the correct result you want
- Enter your bank’s login credentials and click on Proceed, or grant access as needed
- Click Confirm to grant Salt Edge consent to access your bank data
- Salt Edge will begin connecting to your bank account, click on Return to your application to go back to your FreshBooks account
- You’ll be taken back to your Bank Connections - click to turn the toggle green next to the accounts you want to import transactions from.
Your account(s) will now be connected for three months (due to PSD2 requirements) and new transactions (up to 90 days of activity) will be imported into your Expenses section.
To look for Expenses that have not been assigned a Category, click on the Advanced Search button and choose Uncategorized Expenses in the Category field, and click Apply.
We recommend checking your Bank Connections at least every 90 days so that you can re-authenticate your connection and to ensure your Expenses are consistently importing with no errors or actions required by you.
Automatically Categorize Imported Expenses
If you have a lot of Expenses that are consistently importing in that belong to the same category, you can mark them to automatically apply the category for you next time. This requires that the Expense is imported in with the exact same Merchant name every time for it to be automatically categorized. Use the below steps:
- Go to the Expenses section
- Click on the pencil icon on the right side of the Expense you want to edit
- If the Expense does not have a category yet, click on Choose a category and pick one
- If the Merchant is not filled out, click on Add Merchant and type in a new Merchant or choose from an existing list
- Check the box off next to Apply to future imported expenses
- Click Save to finish.
How do I disconnect my bank?
Note that disconnecting a bank will not remove expenses that have already been imported in for that account. To disconnect, follow these steps:
- Click on the gear icon in the top left corner
- Click on Bank Connections
- To disconnect the bank entirely, next to the bank you want to remove, click on the Disconnect link
- To disconnect a specific bank account, click on the bank itself to show the connected accounts and click to turn the toggle off next to the account. Transactions will stop importing for that specific account.
If you're trying to re-add this bank, there is a chance of duplicate Expenses being imported in again upon connection. We recommend checking your Expenses section afterwards to delete any duplicates that appear.