How do Recurring Payments work?
Recurring Payments allows you to automatically charge a Client's credit card or bank transfer details on a regular basis through a Recurring Invoice. Payment is taken automatically, making Recurring Payments ideal for subscriptions or other recurring services.
To enable Recurring Payments, follow these steps:
- Set up a Recurring Invoice which you can read more about here
- Enable one of our Payment Gateways (FreshBooks Payments or Stripe) on the Recurring Invoice
- Send the Recurring Invoice to your Client.
In the end the Recurring Invoice should have Yes shown for Accept Credit Cards and a Recurring Schedule:
This will then enable Recurring Payments as an option to your Clients.
It is up to your Clients to enable Recurring Payments on the Invoice received. They also have the ability to update their credit card information and remove the stored credit card information if they wish.
To see what your Clients have to do to enable, update or remove Recurring Payments, check out this article here.
Disabling Recurring Payments
If you no longer want the Recurring Template to charge your Client automatically after they've opted into Recurring Payments, you can disable this with the below steps:
- Go to the Invoices section
- Click on the Recurring Templates sub-tab
- Find the Recurring Template that is set to auto-paid and click on it
- Click on the Edit button
- Under Settings, click on Accept Online Payments
- Hover over the saved payment information and click on the trash can icon to delete it - the Recurring Template will stop Recurring Payments immediately
- If you'd like to turn off Online Payments entirely, ensure both Accept Credit Cards and Accept ACH Bank Transfer options are left unchecked
- Click Done to apply the payment settings
- Click Save to finish. The Recurring Template will continue to generate Invoices (if there are any remaining or it's set to infinite), but your Client will not be able to pay via Online Payments.
If you're looking to directly process Clients' cards over the phone or in person on Invoices and Recurring Templates (with Recurring Payments) yourself, you can use Advanced Payments instead. This is ideal if you have repeat Clients too, since you'll also be able to save the credit card information for use towards future Invoices and Recurring Templates.
Advanced Payments is an add-on that you can include with your subscription, allowing you to proactively charge your Clients' credit card details they've provided you. If you're on a Select plan, this add-on is automatically included. Learn more about Advanced Payments here.