FreshBooks makes it easy to keep track of your spending. You can create Expenses, as well as Recurring Expenses that can generate automatically on a frequent basis (perfect for subscription-related costs). You're also able to upload receipts, and mark an Expense up for rebilling to your Clients.
- How do I create an Expense?
- How do I create a Recurring Expense?
- How do I create a custom Subcategory?
- How do I upload a receipt?
- How do I rebill an Expense to a Client?
How do I create an Expense?
There are two ways to create a new Expense:
- On the Dashboard, click on the Create New button, then select Expense
- Go to the Expenses section (from the left menu) and click on the New Expense button.
You'll be taken to the New Expense page:
- A category is required for each Expense. Click on the Choose a category to select one of the tax-friendly categories to make tax time a breeze
- Everything else is optional, but you're able to add a Date, Vendor, and Description to give more details on the expense
- Grand Total is the total amount of the expense, but you can click on Show Included Taxes to add taxes to the expense. This will also populate in your Tax Summary Report
- When you are done with your Expense, make sure to click on the Save button to finish.
How do I create a Recurring Expense?
- Go to the Expenses section
- Click on the New Expense button
- On the New Expense screen, under Expense Settings, click on Make Recurring (this has to be done first before adding in the Expense details)
- Click on the Make Recurring button
- In the New Recurring Expense screen, you'll be presented with the Next Issue date, where you're able to select a Start Date, How Often the Expenses are to be generated and How Many Expenses are to be created
- Add in your Expense details (Category and Grand Total, along with anything else like Notes or Taxes)
- Click Save to finish.
New and existing Recurring Expenses will appear in the Recurring Expenses sub-section next to All Expenses inside the Expenses section:
How do I create a custom Subcategory?
The categories available are the ones commonly found on tax forms for claiming your business Expenses. However, you may find you need custom subcategories while getting your Expenses in order. You can create your own subcategory using the steps below:
- While editing an Expense, click on the Choose a category and enter the custom subcategory you want
- Click on the + Create (Subcategory name) button
- You can edit the name and choose a parent category to put it under
- Click Done to finish
- It will now appear on the drop-down list as an option. You can click edit next to it if you want to update it again after it's already been created.
How do I upload a receipt?
While adding your Expense details, click on select a file or drag a receipt to the top corner of the expense. You can read more about uploading receipts here.
How do I rebill an Expense to a Client?
While making your Expense, under Expense Settings on the right, you can click on Mark as billable. You can read more about rebilling expenses here, including adding a markup.