In FreshBooks, the people you send Invoices or Estimates to are Clients. You can add, manage and delete your Clients as your business grows. You're also able to add secondary contacts in each Client profile, so you can send Invoices to multiple contacts in one company as needed.
To create Clients, there are a few different places in your account you can go to:
- From the Dashboard section, click on the Create New button
- Select Client. This will take you to the New Client screen.
- Click on the Clients section
- Then click on the New Client button. This will take you to the New Client screen.
- Click on the Invoices section
- Click on the New Invoice button
- Click on the Add a Client button where the Billed To space is
- Start entering the Client's details in, and the list of existing Clients will disappear
- When you finish filling out the new Client form, the Client will be saved for future Invoices.
For all the options above, either the First & Last Name or Company is required. Everything else is optional, although we recommend adding an Address as this will appear on your Client's Invoices.
Any Client's profile can be viewed by going to the Clients section and clicking on a Client.
This gives you an overview of your Client's details which are explained in detail below:
- Settings - This can be accessed via the icon next to the name, or the Edit button which reveals the below options:
- Send Reminders - Customize the reminder emails and frequency they're sent out for overdue Invoices
- Charge Late Fees - Encourage faster payment on overdue Invoices by applying a fee
- Currency & Language - Change the currency and language on new Invoices for this Client
- More Actions - Click on this for a shortcut to Add an Invoice, or to Archive or Delete the Client
- Client & Secondary Contact - Lists information for the Client, and any Secondary Contact. The Edit button will allow you to modify these details if needed
- Outstanding Revenue - Shows both overdue Invoices (in red) that have missed the Due Date, and outstanding Invoices (in yellow) that have not reached the Due Date yet. Hover over the bar to see the amounts and Invoices
- In Draft - Total of Draft invoices for this Client - hover to see the Invoices
- Available Credit - Total Credit available for this Client - hover to see the overpayments and to delete them
- Unbilled Time - Total of all unbilled time entries - hover to see the entries
- Unbilled Expenses - Total of unbilled expenses assigned to this Client - hover to see the Expenses
- Notes - Under the Relationship, you can add internal notes which are private and only visible to you and your team
You can choose which contacts to send an Invoice to, or choose to send to all contacts. The contacts' emails are automatically added whenever sending an Estimate or Invoice to the Client. This way, you can send to multiple emails.
Note: Secondary Contacts cannot create Client accounts - only the primary Client can.
To add a Secondary Contact, use these steps:
- Go to the Clients section and click on the New Client button (or from the Dashboard, click on the Create New button, then select Client)
- If you're editing an existing Client, go to the Clients section, click on the client, then click on Edit
- Click on the Add Secondary Contact button
- Fill out the First & Last Name and email address, which are required. The phone number field is optional
- Click Save to finish.
You can add up to a maximum of 10 Secondary Contacts to each Client Profile. Once added to the profile, their emails are automatically populated in the Send To field when sending an Invoice by email.
How do I delete a Secondary Contact?
- Go to the Clients section
- Click on the Client you want to edit, then click on the Edit button
- Hover over the Secondary Client profile, and click on the trash can icon in the top right corner.
How do I add a Tax Name and Tax Number to my Client's profile?
When filling out your Client's profile, simply choose their Country, and the appropriate Tax Name and Tax Number fields will appear (if applicable).
This will appear on all Invoices to this Client.
How do I export my Clients?
- Go to the Clients section
- Click on More Actions
- Select Export Clients. Your Clients, secondary contacts, address information and notes will be exported in a CSV file.