In FreshBooks, the people you send Invoices or Estimates to are Clients. You can add, manage and delete your Clients as your business grows. You're also able to add secondary contacts in each Client profile, so you can send Invoices to multiple contacts in one company as needed.
To create Clients, there are a few different places in your account you can go to:
- From the Dashboard section, click on the Create New button
- Select Client. This will take you to the New Client screen.
- Click on the the Clients section
- Then click on the New Client button. This will take you to the New Client screen.
- Click on the Invoices section
- Click on the New Invoice button
- Click on the Add a Client button where the Billed To space is
- Start entering the Client's details in, and the list of existing Clients will disappear
- When you finish filling out the new Client form, the Client will be saved for future Invoices.
For all the options above, either the First & Last Name or Company is required. Everything else is optional, although we recommend adding an Address as this will appear on your Client's Invoices.
Once you save the profile, you'll be taken to the Client profile overview screen:
From here, you can do the following:
- Create an Invoice (by clicking on More Actions > + Add an Invoice button)
- Modify the Client's details by clicking on the Edit button
- Enable to Send Reminders on overdue Invoices
- Charge Late Fees on overdue Invoices
- Change the Currency & Language for their Invoices
- Add Internal Notes, which is private and only visible to you and your team
You can choose which contacts to send an Invoice to, or choose to send to all contacts. Adding a Secondary Contact can be done with the below steps:
- Go to the Clients section and click on the New Client button (or from the Dashboard, click on the Create New button, then select Client)
- If you're editing an existing Client, go to the Clients section, click on the client, then click on Edit
- Click on the Add Secondary Contact button
- Fill out the First & Last Name and email address, which are required. The phone number field is optional
- Click Save to finish.
There is no limit to the number of Secondary Contacts you can add to a Client Profile. Once added to the profile, their emails are automatically populated in the Send To field when sending an Invoice by email.
How do I delete a Client?
- Go to the Clients section
- Check the box(es) off next to the Clients you want to delete
- Click on the Actions button
- Select Delete.
All deleted Clients can be accessed by clicking on the View Deleted Clients button at the bottom of the list as well, where you can also undelete them.
How do I delete a Secondary Contact?
- Go to the Clients section
- Click on the Client you want to edit, then click on the Edit button
- Hover over the Secondary Client profile, and click on the trash can icon in the top right corner.