How Do I Accept Online Payments With FreshBooks Payments (WePay)?
FreshBooks Payments Powered by WePay is one of our many online payment processors (also known as payment gateways) to allow you to receive online payments in USD or CAD with credit cards and bank transfers (ACH).
- Availability - For businesses in Canada and the US
- Transaction Fee - See WePay’s list of transaction fees
- Setup - Quick to create an account, no setup, monthly or cancellation fees
- Processing / Payout Schedule - Payments are processed on an average of 1-3 business days, see payout details here
- Statement Descriptor - Your clients will see "WEPAY*account_name" on their statements, see WePay's details here
- Chargebacks - A $15 non-refundable fee is charged, see WePay's chargeback details here
Set up your WePay account in your Online Payments Settings with the below steps:
- Click on the gear icon in the top left corner
- Click on Online Payments Settings
- Click on Get Started with Online Payments under FreshBooks Payments
- Click Continue
- Next, you can either:
- Click on Continue Step to verify your email and business information as well as add a bank account to complete the setup (make sure you're using one of the supported browsers)
- Or click on Not Now to do it later (you can still collect payments in the meantime)
- If you’ve clicked Continue Step, you’ll be sent an email to verify your account
- Next, to finish your setup, use the steps here to verify your business and add a bank account
- When you see your Setup Progress is 100% complete, you’ve finished enabling FreshBooks Payments
- If you are based in Canada and would like to accept VISA debit cards, slide the toggle green next to Accept VISA debit cards to allow Clients to pay with this additional card type (this is automatically enabled for US users).
- A WePay account is automatically provisioned for you under the email address used for your FreshBooks account - if the email address is incorrect, please reach out to us to update it
- You can also set up your FreshBooks Payments Powered by WePay account while making a new Invoice by clicking on Connect under Accept Online Payments
Enable WePay on Invoices
Once your WePay account is connected, you can begin accepting payments with FreshBooks Payments Powered by WePay using the below steps:
- When creating an Invoice, click on the Accept Online Payments option in the Settings panel to the right of the invoice
- Check off the box(es) next to Accept Credit Cards and/or Accept ACH Bank Transfer (available for US businesses and clients only). If both are checked off, your Clients can pay by either Credit Card or Bank Transfer on this Invoice. If only one is checked off, your Clients can only pay by the selected option
- If you want your Clients to be able to pay the Invoice partially (even with Bank Transfers or Payment Schedules enabled as well), check off Allow Clients to make partial online payments for this Invoice
- Click Done to finish applying the payment settings and continue editing the rest of your Invoice.
- If you haven't finished setting up your WePay account, verify your business and add a bank account to ensure no disruptions in receiving your payment
- To see what the experience looks like for your Clients when paying by WePay, go here (or Apple Pay here)