How do I enable FreshBooks Payments on Invoices?
To start receiving online payments by Credit Card and Bank Transfer (ACH) on your Invoices, you can enable FreshBooks Payments powered by WePay.
There are two ways to connect your FreshBooks account to FreshBooks Payments:
From Accept Online Payments
- Click on the gear icon in the top left corner
- Click on Accept Online Payments
- Click on Get Started with Online Payments under FreshBooks Payments
- Click Continue
- Next, you can either:
- Click on Continue Step to verify your email and business information as well as add a bank account to complete the setup (make sure you're using one of the supported browsers)
- Or click on Not Now to do it later (you can still collect payments in the meantime)
- If you’ve clicked Continue Step, you’ll be sent an email to verify your account
- Next, to finish your setup, use the steps here to verify your business and add a bank account
- When you see your Setup Progress is 100% complete, you’ve finished enabling FreshBooks Payments
- If you are based in Canada and would like to accept VISA debit cards, slide the toggle green next to Accept VISA debit cards to allow Clients to pay with this additional card type (this is automatically enabled for US users)
- You'll also want to follow the steps in the From An Invoice section below to enable it on an Invoice as well.
From An Invoice
The option to choose both Accept Credit Cards and Accept ACH Bank Transfer or one of them is available on the individual Invoice itself. Use the below steps to choose whether to accept both or one:
- When creating an Invoice, click on the Accept Online Payments option in the Settings panel to the right of the invoice
- FreshBooks Payments should now appear. Click on Get Started to begin the process
- Check off the box(es) next to Accept Credit Cards and/or Accept ACH Bank Transfer (available for US businesses and clients only). If both are checked off, your Clients can pay by either Credit Card or Bank Transfer on this Invoice. If only one is checked off, your Clients can only pay by the selected option
- If you want your Clients to be able to pay the Invoice partially (even with Bank Transfers or Payment Schedules enabled as well), check off Allow Clients to make partial online payments for this Invoice
- Click Done to finish applying the payment settings and continue editing the rest of your Invoice.
Your invoice is now ready to be paid - all your client has to do is click the Pay Now button when they receive your invoice. To see what your client will experience, click here.
If you haven't finished setting up your WePay account, use the steps here to verify your business and add a bank account.
Is my business or industry safe to use with WePay?
Please check the Prohibited Activities section of WePay's Terms of Service to ensure you can safely process payments with WePay.
How do I turn Accept Online Payments on or off on an Invoice?
Your settings for online payments will be remembered based on the last invoice created. You can turn the ability to accept online payments with credit cards on or off on an Invoice by using these steps:
- Open the Invoice you want to turn online payments on or off for
- Click on the Edit button
- Under Settings, click on Accept Online Payments
- Check off or uncheck the box and click Done
- Accept Online Payments will now be set to YES or NO (Invoice will or will not accept online payments by credit card).
What will my Clients see on their bank statement?
Once your client makes a payment through FreshBooks Payments, the transaction will appear as "WPY*yourcompanyname" on their credit card statement. Letting your clients know how the transaction appears on their statement will help reduce the risk of chargebacks due to unrecognized charges.
Can I use the same WePay account with multiple businesses?
Yes, as long as the information in My Company is in the same country as your WePay account, you can keep using the same WePay account in any additional business you add.
The email on my WePay account is wrong. How can I update it so I can finish setting up?
When you set up your FreshBooks account, we automatically provision a WePay account for you using the same email as your account (for US or Canadian customers).
If the email set up is incorrect (because of a typo or you were using a test email), we can change the email for you. Just give our Support a quick call or email with the correct email address to use.