Creating Recurring Invoices is easy in FreshBooks. These Invoices will be generated automatically based on the schedule you choose, giving your more time to focus on doing what you love. Perfect for those subscription-based Clients with whom you provide ongoing work on a recurring basis - check out our blog post on recurring invoices here.
- Creating a Recurring Template
- Viewing Recurring Templates
- Deactivating Recurring Templates
Creating a Recurring Template:
- Head to the Invoices section and create a New Invoice. You'll see the Make Recurring option in the Settings pane to the right:
- Clicking on this will display a couple of the benefits surrounding Recurring Invoices - saving time, customization, and the ability to review Invoices prior to sending them to your Clients (which is great if anything needs to be changed or updated on each Invoice!). Continue by clicking on the Make Recurring button
- You'll be presented with the Recurring Schedule, where you're able to select a Start Date, How Often the Invoices are to be generated, How Many Invoices are to be generated, and Delivery Options
Delivery Options include the following:
- You're able to choose Send Invoices Automatically, so FreshBooks will create & send the Invoices based on the schedule. Or you can choose to Create Draft Invoices which gives you the option to check the Invoice information prior to sending it to your Client:
- Click Done, and then fill out the Invoice details. Add a Client, Add Line Items, and feel free to add any Notes, Terms or other information the Client may need:
If you've set the Start Date to today, the first Invoice will be created once everything has been Saved.
Adding Unbilled Time
If you'd like to Invoice for your time tracked on a recurring basis, you can set up your Recurring Template to automatically add any unbilled time for you. This will generate future Invoices with any time tracked during that period for you, automatically.
When setting up your Recurring Template, use these extra steps:
- Ensure a Client is selected
- Click on the Add a Line button
- Click on Import unbilled time entries
- Choose how you'd like these time entries to be formatted (Detailed, Grouped, or Simple)
- Once you're happy with the settings, click on Looks Good to finish
- You will now have any future time entries automatically imported onto this Recurring Template.
Viewing Recurring Templates
You can view Recurring Templates by going to the Invoices section and clicking on the Recurring Template text above the list. All Recurring Templates will display the frequency and the number of Invoices left to generate (if applicable):
Clicking on the Recurring Template will bring you to a preview of the generated Invoice. The green banner at the top of the Invoice shows that the Template is Automatically Created or Automatically Sent:
Deactivating Recurring Templates
To stop Recurring Invoices from generating, you'll need to either Delete the Template, or set the How Many number to 0 remaining by editing the Recurring Settings.
How come I don't see the option to make my Invoice Recurring?
Recurring Invoices can only be made from brand new Invoices. If you have saved the Invoice at all, the Make Recurring option is no longer available.
You can copy the Invoice and make it Recurring, then delete the original one with these steps:
- Go to the Invoices section
- Check the box off next to the Invoice you want to copy
- Click on the More Actions button
- Select Duplicate
- Click on Make Recurring under Settings and continue with making your Recurring Invoice. Don't forget to delete the original Invoice after when you're done!