In FreshBooks, you and your Employees can track your time to Projects. Those Projects are assigned to individual Clients, and you can Invoice your Clients easily based on that tracked time. As a bonus, any time tracked by your Employees will automatically be added to the Invoice for you.
You can add unbilled time to a new Invoice a few different ways:
Generate From Time Tracking
- Go to the Time Tracking section (left side menu)
- Click on Generate Invoice at the top (next to the Start Timer button)
- Select your Client (any unbilled hours will show up next to them)
- If there are multiple projects for this Client, you can un-select any you don't want to Invoice for yet
- Click Continue
- You have the option of showing your time entries in three different ways:
The drop-down options for Detailed have Includes: Service, Project, Team Member, Date and Notes which you can check/uncheck, and a Date Range to help you filter out specific time entries.
The drop-down options for Grouped have Grouped By: Service, Team Member and Day, as well as Includes: Service, Project, Team Member and Date which you can check/uncheck. There is also a Date Range to help you filter out specific time entries.
The drop-down options for Simple have Includes: Project, Team Member and Date which you can check/uncheck, and a Date Range to help you filter out specific time entries.
- For any of the options above, click on the Add #h #m button to add it to the invoice in the format you've chosen.
- The Rate will automatically be populated depending on what you chose as your Billing Rate
- Enter any additional details on your Invoice (like Notes, Terms, Due Date, etc)
- When you're all done, click Save or Send to finish!
Generate From Project
- Go to the Projects section (left side menu)
- Click on the Project you want to generate an Invoice for
- Click on the More Actions button
- Click on Generate Invoice
- Choose a Date Range, or leave it to All Time
- Your project will automatically be checked off. Click on the Continue button
- Customize your formatting options for your time entries, and click on the Add #h #m button to finish
- Continue editing the rest of your Invoice.
Generate From Invoice
- Go to the Invoices section
- Click on New Invoice (or edit an existing Invoice)
- Select a Client
- Click on the Add a Line button, any unbilled time entries for that client will appear in the list of available items to select:
- You can continue to edit the Invoice, or save/send it.
How do I manually mark time entries as billed?
To mark time entries as billed, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Time Tracking section
- Check off the box(es) next to the entries you want to mark as billed
- Click on the Actions button above the list
- Click on Mark as Billed
- Click OK in the confirmation pop-up and your time is now marked as billed.