As you track your bills (part of Accounts Payable), you can add, manage and delete your vendors as your business’ relationships with other vendors grow. A vendor will work with your business to provide goods or services with a bill to be paid at a later date. If you’ve already paid for an item or service in full, this would be an expense instead.
Bills and Vendors make up Accounts Payable, where you can use the vendor profile as a way to quickly access all bills from each vendor in one central place.
To create vendors, use either of the below steps, or if you have a lot of vendors, use the import option instead:
- On the Dashboard, select the Create New... button, then select Vendor
- Or go to the Expenses section
- Then select the Vendors sub-section underneath
- Select the New Vendor button
You’ll be taken to the New Vendor screen. From here you can fill out your vendor’s profile using these steps:
- The First Name and Last Name or Company name is required, enter the name in either of these fields
- If needed, fill out these optional fields:
- In the Account Number field, enter your account details with the vendor
- Add an email in the Email Address field
- Enter the link or URL in the Website field
- Include a number in the Phone Number field
- Select Add Address and choose a Country, then enter in the Street, City, State, Zip Code
- Next, in the Vendor Settings, you can specify:
- Select Currency and Language to change the default currency and language for this Vendor
- Select Sales Tax Type to specify if you pay sales tax to this Vendor, and Add Sales Tax using the steps in How does sales tax work? here
- Select Save to finish your vendor’s profile.
Any vendor’s profile can be viewed by going to the Expenses section, then selecting on the Vendors sub-section underneath, and selecting a vendor. On the vendor’s profile, you’ll find the below information:
Settings - This can be accessed with the slider icon next to the name, with these options:
- Currency and Language - Change the currency and language on new bills for this Vendor
- Sales Tax Type - Add or remove sales tax that this vendor charges on their bills
- More Actions - Select this to quickly Edit Vendor, Archive or Delete the vendor
- New Bill - Select this button to quickly create a bill for this vendor specifically
- Vendor Card - Lists information for the vendor
- Total Outstanding - This graph shows both overdue bills (in red) that have missed the due date, and outstanding bills (in yellow) that have not reached the due date yet. Hover over the bar to review the amounts and invoices
Under the Bills sub-tab, you’ll find a list of all active bills associated with this vendor. Archived and deleted bills can be found in the Bills section instead.
I tried to create a new vendor but an error says the name is taken?
A vendor's company name must be unique. If the name is taken, the vendor already exists elsewhere in your Archived Vendors section, or in the deleted section. You can use the steps in How does archived or deleted work? here to access the section. Either edit the name to free up the original one, or restore the vendor if it’s been deleted.
How do I manage my vendors?
From the Vendors section, you can select More Actions and select either:
- Import Vendors - Upload a CSV of your vendors
- Export Vendors - Your vendors, address and details will be downloaded into a CSV file
From the Vendors section, hover over any vendor to quickly perform any of these actions:
- Edit - Select the pencil icon and you’ll be taken to the edit screen of the vendor's profile where you can adjust and save afterwards
- Create Bill - Select the paper icon to create a bill for the vendor
- Archive - Select the box iconto move the vendor to your archived vendors list
- Delete - Select the trash can icon to delete the vendor. All associated bills for that vendor will remain and you can view all deleted vendors by selecting on the deleted link at the bottom of the list
What happens to my vendors that I created during my trial or before I downgraded?
If you've created vendors while on trial or downgraded to a plan that doesn't have Accounts Payable (Bills and Vendors), you'll still be able to view and edit only your existing vendors.