Invoices allow you to bill a Client for your products and/or services, and help you keep track of your income in FreshBooks. You can also check out our blog post here for making the best possible Invoices to ensure you get paid for your hard work on time.
- Create an Invoice
- Fill out your Invoice
- Due Date
- Send Late Reminders
- Charge Late Fees
- Currency & Language
Create an Invoice
There are two ways to start a new Invoice:
If you're on your Dashboard:
- Click on the Create New button
- Then select Invoice. This will take you to the New Invoice screen.
Alternatively, you can click on the Invoices section, then the New Invoice button in the top right. You'll be taken to the New Invoice screen:
Each section of the Invoice is broken down into detail below (or you can watch this video here):
Accept Credit Cards
You can read more about accepting credit cards in this article.
Customize Invoice Style
- Template - You can choose between Simple or Modern, for the option of having a logo in a corner, or a wide banner across the top of your Invoice.
- Theme Colour - This will change the colour of your headings (e.g., Description, Rate, Invoice Number). It will also change the banner colour at the top of your Invoice on the Modern template.
- Font - You can choose between Helvetica (Modern) and Garamond (Classic).
- Make Recurring - You can read more about making your Invoice into a recurring invoice here.
Fill out your Invoice
- Company Name, Phone, Address - This is pre-populated by your Company Profile but you can also edit it here.
- Logo - You can add a logo to make your Invoice look professional. Learn more here.
- Billed To - Hover your mouse over this area and click to add a Client. You can add a new Client or choose an existing one.
- Date of Issue - Chances are this won't need to be changed, but if you need to change the issue date, you can do so here.
- Due Date - Include the date your Invoice should be paid by. Late Reminders and Fees are based off the Due Date. Due Dates are remembered from the last Invoice you created, including custom Due Dates.
- Invoice Number - This can be changed to include both numbers or letters if necessary.
- Reference Field - You can enter up to 25 characters for any additional information you need to include, like purchase orders/PO numbers. Learn more here.
- Description, Rate, Qty, Line Total - This is what you're Invoicing for. Add the Items or Time you're billing your Client for here.
- Notes - Add a summary or details to the Invoice. Notes are unique to each Invoice and will not be remembered for next time.
- Terms - Include any Tax numbers here (like HST, GST, VAT, ABN), standard payment terms (bank transfer details), or a PayPal email so your Clients know when and how they can pay! This is remembered for future Invoices based on your most recent Invoice's Terms by default.
- Send Late Reminders - You're able to send up to three late payment reminders to your Clients, adding a personal message to each reminder if necessary.
- Charge Late Fees - You can add late fees x-number of days after the Invoice Due Date. These can either be a percentage of the Invoice value, or a flat fee.
- Currency & Language - Here you're able to change the currency or language (either English or French) of the Invoice.
- Taxes - To add Tax to your Invoice on the items, refer to this article.
Once the Invoice looks the way you want it, you can either click on:
- Save - if you're not quite finished working on it.
- Send - An email preview comes up where you can easily change or add more email addresses and personalize the email for your Client. Whoever sends the Invoice will receive any email replies from the Client.
Once saved/sent, you'll be taken back to the Invoices section.
How do I know when my Client has viewed the Invoice?
At the top of all Invoices is a View History bar. Click on this to reveal the full timeline of all events that occurred with your Invoice. Whenever your Client clicks on the link to open the Invoice, the status of the Invoice updates from Sent to Viewed. This is also automatically logged in the Invoice History as "(Client Name) viewed this Invoice on (date)".
How do I edit or change my Terms?
This can be done by editing your most recent Invoice or creating a new Invoice. At the bottom in the Terms section, you can make any changes as needed and it will be remembered for the next future Invoice.
Bad debt is when you have done work and created an Invoice for a Client, but that Invoice will never be paid. You can mark an Invoice as bad debt with these steps:
- Go to the Invoices section
- Click on the Invoice you want to mark as bad debt
- Click on the Edit button
- Add a line item (you can call it "Bad Debt" or something similar), with the total as a negative value
- Click Save to finish and the total should now be $0 and no longer outstanding.
Why is the dropdown on the Invoice not showing all of my Clients or Items?
To ensure working on your Invoice is the best experience possible, the dropdown for Clients or Items will only display up to a certain number of results. You can still use the keyboard to type and quickly find your Client or Item if it's not immediately visible in the dropdown.